Monday, July 19, 2010

SUP?

This post is to welcome those of you from Mocha Club visiting my blog, and to inform my buddies about an article that will go live tomorrow, July 20th.
You can the view the post on Mocha Club's site here:
http://blog.mochaclub.org/articles/2010/07/19/kenya-laurin/

I recommend reading this blog from the beginning to the most recent posts.
Start with reading this blog with the post entitled, "A Whole New World."
Disclaimer: I can be a bit long winded but please take the time to read about the people I met in Kenya!

May the Kenyans starring in these blog entries encourage you, inspire you, and even make you dance a little.

A peek into my heart:
I wish I could convince you that I am this remarkably changed, selfess person, but I would be one BIG, FAT liar.
However, the people of Kenya have enlighened my soul and challenged me to give more of myself than what is "comfortable". It's a process. We live in a society that believes in "get it NOW". In Africa, they embrace the fact that some things take time. This journey to service and giving is going to take some time for the stubborn girl writing this blog.
Someone once told me, "If it doesn't hurt, it's not a sacrifice".
What is it that I am supposed to sacrifice for my friends in Africa? I am still praying about that.

Thank you for reading. Feel free to share this with friends who don't quite understand what this whole "Africa" thing is all about. I didn't understand it at first either. Heck, I'm still trying to soak it all in.
I know many people say that America has enough needs of its own for us to care about other nations. I don't disagree that there are people minutes away from us that need our help. What I am suggesting is this:
The more you read about our Kenyan brothers and sisters the more you will see that it's not about who needs our help more. It's about how much we need the "light" they have in our own lives. It's about giving to people that, if you let them, will give more to you than you could ever give back.

Life since Africa:
I've been living with my grandparents in Birmingham and interning with a building contractor but will be
heading back to Auburn University (WAR EAGLE) in less than a month! YEEHAW.
Let me tell you something about my school:
Auburn University is a place of passionate "go-getters."

Present a need to our student body and we'll tackle it. Dare ya.

It makes me excited knowing that our campus representative for Mocha Club, Emily, has a passion for educating our peers on Africa: their hope, their spirit, and their need. I hope more people at school will become aware of Africa this year.

"Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told". Habakuk 1:5

Some other blogs from the trip:
Bill Power
Kenya Feel the Love
Christi Nolan
This Shirt Changes Lives
...buy a t shirt!

Here are some videos from the trip thanks to Carrie Vermillion:
Kenya Kids do the Single Ladies Dance (created by Carrie)
Our Crew
Lots of Laughter... sorry Christi... I had to
peace.love.kitui.
I know what love is


join Mocha Club (all are welcome)!

peace.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this. and i love you. miss you like whoa, ms. sanders. thanks for the shoutouts!
xx

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 HERE COMES THE SUN.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.