Sunday, June 6, 2010

Today was church at Benson's. It was great. No televisions and no upholstered pews...just a wooden structure with a communion table, wooden benches, and a microphone. The simplicity of it all was beautiful. If I closed my eyes it would have sounded like a glimpse of what Heaven might be like. Every tongue and tribe and nation singing to the same God and giving all glory to Him alone.

I think it reminded me what a church should look like and how I have had a distorted perception that churches need a rockin' band and a great speaker to be influential.

The people were singing at the top of their lungs. Some way off pitch and some in complete harmony. Nevertheless they were singing joyful songs to the Lord and were not concerned with who was listening. We danced, clapped, and attempted singing out of an old Swahili hymnal. We sang "nothing but the blood" in Swahili today. It was cool to recognize the tune. We took communion with the church and that was also very neat. The thought that these people have unconditional faith in the midst of all their circumstances is convicting. Some people on our team video taped it. I think you had to be there to fully feel the Spirit in the room as we all sang together. The video may give a hint of an idea.

I looked out the window (more like an opening in the wall) after a bug almost found its home in my ear. To my surprise I saw a group of men sitting on the other side of the fence facing the chapel. It was evident that they were trying to hear the Word of the Lord. Thanks, bug. If it weren't for you I wouldn't have seen that beautiful picture of people desperate for the Lord.

After that we ate at Susan and Benson's house in Nairobi. Their 22 year old daughter made a great meal for us (pasta,mashed potatoes, stew, veggies). Yes, I actually ate the meatballs. It was the first piece of meat I have eaten since my car ride with Mr. Chicken and my encounter with Benson's goats. That's a step. It was such a great meal.

We rushed out of their town to head back to the market next to our hotel. There are about fifty umbrellas with beads, jewelry, weapons, clothes, art, and everything else in between. What a rush! We had a buddy that we had to stick with, so Sarah and I stuck together and learned some smooth business skills. People would say "6,000 shillings." I would say "Eh.... I can only do 500." "Too low. Must come up. Since you student I work with you." "I'm sorry." As we proceeded to walk away they chased after us and gave it to us for our price. I learned to have a back bone today. Daddy you would be so proud.

If I told you the things I purchased it might ruin it. I will tell you when I give my family their gifts.

I will tell you that my favorite purchase today was a drum. I think it will come in handy at Auburn next year. Pretty stoked about it.

We just sang the Lion King sound track and they also forced me to dance some hip hop. Apparently I look really goofy. Hey, if it brings happiness to people then bring it on. Don't worry... that black mail dance video is bound to show up on Facebook. Yikes.

Tomorrow we are going back to the slums to a high school and to paint. The leaders said there was a 35 ish year old man last year that was at the high school because he yearned for an education. He wore the uniform and sat in class with all the teenagers just because he knew how much it could change his life.

Tuesday and Wednesday we will be going to a place called New Dawn. I honestly don't know what we are doing except teaching the girls and guys separately about how to be safe and how to take care of themselves.

What a whirlwind of a week! I am so glad to be here! Can I stay?

There is a 21 year old girl from Tennessee named Katie Davis that came on a mission trip to Africa recently. She never came back. She is living somewhere here by herself and has taken over ten girls under her wing. They all stay with her.

Not to worry, I am not called to this at this point in life. The thought of adoption has really been put on my heart though. I have a long time to pray about that one.

It is time for me to take action though. I am praying about what that means (money, time, talent) for me specifically. I honestly never really cared to help people in need until now. I am still disgustingly full of selfishness (just shootin' ya straight) but giving really is the only was to cure that.

I know sometimes the words I say sound depressing, but Africa is full of heart. They love with all they have (even us "muzungus" that they have never seen before). That is a lesson in itself: receive nothing and still love with everything. I don't think I have ever EVER known what this was like. I am praying that my heart of stone will melt after experiencing these people.

They need our prayers.


It is amazing how such a little can help them so much. Just a few boxes of pencils and notebooks would help Emmanuel school for a whole year. Some money towards clean water would prevent thousands of water-born illnesses from happening. Sponsoring just one child with an education or a uniform could give them the education they need to turn from the slums filled with aggression, crime, disease, and loss of hope. Just a little money towards the orphans in Kitui could provide the kids with meals so they don't have to starve for three days.

In all honestly, we need their prayers, too. They trust God will provide... and He does! Their faith is unshakable. Their prayers are genuine and meant for noone but the Lord. What a conviction directed towards Laurin Sanders today. My faith is conditional and my trust probably wouldn't pass a trust fall test most days.

Can I please be on a Kenyan's prayer list?


Word of the day:
Yesu: Jesus

Peace out, yall! (getting made fun of my the day for using the slang of yall) :) Kenyans have no idea what "yall" is. CULTURE SHOCK! :)

Have a lovely day! Night time for us

1 comments:

Unknown said...

"For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." 2 Cor.4:6 Elijah's verse
It sounds like you have seen this light in the faces of the African people. We all need to take a lesson from them.
I have loved reading your posts. You've done a great job helping all of us enjoy your days. I can't wait to see your purchases. Way to walk away and strike a deal!
Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase ... (How many hours did we wait to see the show in NYC?) All these experiences from your past are paying off now. Hip Hop lessons, shows, ... Who would have ever thougt? No Cinderella yet?
Love you bunches!!!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 HERE COMES THE SUN.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.