Sunday, May 30, 2010

WE ARE HERE SAFE AND SOUND! Hallelujah. The whole gang is here at our hotel about to go to bed for the night. Here it is eleven pm.. you guys just got out of church!

Here is a brief summary of our travels:

Friday--rode with the parents to Atlanta. Had an awesome meal at Fogo de Chao. I am so thankful for their support and enthusiasm about this opportunity.

Saturday--flew to DC. Sat with Cameron for four hours while waiting to check our bags in for British Airways. We got to choose seats. Our plane was a 747 400 so it was a double decker. Ofcourse I asked for usptairs. The man looked at me and basically said there was no way possible unless I was ready to fork out $10,000 one way. Nevertheless we took regular seats in the back. When we met up with our team at the gate we all hopped in the massive plane to realize we were the majority of the passengers... and there are only twenty of us! I took a whole row of five seats to myself and slept across them. The flight attendants (mark and andrew from Scotland) hung out with us and showed us card tricks. It kept the 6 hr flight interesting. Hey... this British Airway strike helped us out... each of us had our own row!
--we arrived 6:30 this morning (London time). In London I bought some strange ginger detox juice and some other juice that had no "nasties"... no chemicals. WOOHOO organic.

Sunday-- Flew out to Nairobi around 10:40. Got here 9:40 pm Kenya time. Customs and everything went very well. We hopped in our bus and rode through town with our driver named Felix. He took us to grab PIZZA. First African meal... cheese pizza. The people here are so hospitable and eager to love on us. Cameron met the most wonderful Kenyan women on the plane. They taught her all about culture and language. She is my roommate so she will teach me tonight. War Eagle. We are staying at a lovely place called "gracia house" and we have mosquito net canopies. I am pretty stoked about those. a- because they look awesome b- there are MASSIVE mosquitos.

Tomorrow we will be up and running around 8. We will be in Nairobi tomorrow and then the slums the next few days. If you don't see any posts for a few days... don't give up on us!!

Swahili words:
twiga-- giraffe
asanti--thank you

prayers: to break us

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Lala,
I'm so glad you are there! I found Kitui on Google Earth so I can imagine that you are somewhere in the pictures that I see. Yes, I know that the pictures aren't live, but I can pretend. I hope your return flight is empty because you will really want to sleep then. Love on those beautiful children for me.
John 10:27-28
27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. Philip's verse
I love the last phrase!
Praying for you and for them. Love you!!!!
Momma (I looked up momma in Swahili - it said Momma. So I guess your momma is your momma no matter where you go.):)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 HERE COMES THE SUN.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.